I’m on a big turmeric kick right now. It’s amazing stuff. I’ve been slathering my face with it with my Moisturizing Turmeric Aloe Face Mask and making delicious golden milk in the morning. Have you ever had golden milk? It’s served up at a lot of the hipster cafes here in SF. “Why yes, I’ll give you $8 to mix some turmeric into your fancy almond milk for me. Um no thanks, I’ll just do that at home (and not put as much sugar in as you).”
Turmeric has incredible healing properties. It’s a natural antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and an anti-inflammatory agent. While it’s amazing for your skin, it’s also great to drink for your health as well. It’s a wonderful immune booster as an every day drink and really soothing to drink when you’re sick.
Turmeric has many things going for it, but one of it’s biggest qualities is curcumin. Cur-what?? Curcumin is the main compound in turmeric and gives it its beautiful bright yellow color. But there’s so much more to curcumin than just its gorgeous color.
- Curcumin is anti-inflammatory and a strong antioxidant.
- Studies are showing that curcumin is helpful in fighting and even preventing cancer.
- It helps to lower symptoms of depression.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties are helpful for pain and inflammation such as in arthritis.
- It’s also believed to help with anti-aging, not only on the skin level, but on a whole. This is because of its anti-septic properties that can help prevent disease, which generally interferes with longevity.
- It’s also believed to help with brain function. Some preliminary studies have shown that it can help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. More trials are underway and I’m curious to learn the extent of what curcumin can do.
One problem though, our bodies have a hard time absorbing curcumin. But, if you add black pepper, it makes it more bioavailable (by almost 2000%!). That means your body can absorb it and get all the great benefits. Weird, but cool. It also gives the drink a subtle spice that enriches the flavor, which I really like. FYI – most of the studies mentioned above are using large amounts of turmeric. Having one delicious golden milk a day doesn’t quite compare, but it will still help to support your body.
You can enjoy this amazing drink in either the morning or the evening. Drinking it in the morning helps to support your body throughout the day. Feeling better means more focus and productivity. It’s also great for drinking at night since it’s really soothing and helps you relax in the evening.
- 1 cup almond milk (or other nut milk)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- pinch of black pepper
- Combine the almond milk, turmeric, maple syrup (or honey) and black pepper into a small sauce pan. I like to put my turmeric through a small fine mesh strainer as I add it to the milk to help get rid of any clumps.
- Whisk it all together over low heat. You want to get it hot and allow the spices to steep in the milk, but not boil. Boiling will mess with all the great healthy properties of the turmeric.
- Once it’s ready, pour it into your favorite mug and enjoy. I usually strain mine with that same little fine mesh strainer as I pour it into my mug since my pepper grinder doesn’t know how to do small even grinds.