There are times I seriously question my sanity with trying to go natural with everything I use. Makeup makes me question this the most.
Over the past few years I’ve found some amazing natural makeup brands. I’m in love with 100% Pure, Alima, and Ecco Bella. They’re all natural and organic and super good for your skin. My one problem is that I can’t get the makeup (i.e. eyeshadow) to stay on. I know, slightly major problem. They all go on like the makeup that I used to use, but without that urban decay eye primer, my eyeshadow was a lost cause within minutes.
I tried making so many different eye primers, but nothing could keep my eyelids from instantly creasing.
One day I overheard a friend comment how hair spray can work as a great makeup setting spray rather than buying the expensive stuff. Makeup setting spray?? I had been thinking that I needed a primer, but what if I was going in the wrong direction and needed to think about this the other way around? So I decided to try to make a natural setting spray. After a few unsuccessful, sticky, greasy attempts, I landed on this spray that works wonderfully! It holds my makeup in place all day and doesn’t leave any residue on my face.
To give you an idea of how good this works, I used it at my outdoor wedding when it was 100 degrees outside, we were all hot and sweaty and my makeup stayed looking great all day.
Aloe-based Makeup Setting Spray
- 1 tbsp aloe vera
- 2.5-3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp witch hazel (or this one)
- 5-6 drops lavender essential oil – optional (you can use any scent that you like, I chose lavender because it’s really good for your skin).
- In a small 2oz spray bottle, mix all the ingredients together. I usually just give it a little shake or run it back and forth between my palms a few times before each use.
- After applying your makeup, immediately spray 2-3 times on your face, holding it about a foot away.
- Wave your hands like a crazy person in front of your face to help it dry (only takes a few seconds) and then get on with your day.