I swore I wasn’t going to fall for the avocado toast craze. I wasn’t going to be one of those hipsters. It’s too trendy and overdone. But I did. It’s really good. When we were in New Zealand a few months ago, we had breakfast at this lovely little cafe in Queenstown. They served avocado toast for breakfast, but it wasn’t just any avocado toast. It was heavenly, unique and amazing. You know how when you’re on vacation and everything tastes better? When we got back, I was hesitant to try making it. I didn’t want to ruin the memory of it, but it was just too good not to try.
Guess what? It’s just as good back at home as it was on our incredible trip in New Zealand.
Normally these posts are me telling you all the amazing health benefits of something. Sorry, there’s no life changing health benefits here, just life changing taste.
You start with the classic avocado toast base and then the magic happens in the toppings. Thinly sliced olives and chopped sun-dried tomatoes are added next and give it a rich flavor. It’s finished with a sprinkle of salt, dash of smoked paprika and the secret ingredient: a drizzle of maple syrup. That’s what really caught my attention when they first served it to me in NZ. I originally thought and expected it to be olive oil, but after careful tasting discovered that it was actually maple syrup. It’s such a perfect compliment to the rest of the flavors.
NZ Inspired Avocado Toast
- 1 slice Gluten free or paleo bread
- 1 Avocado (half or whole, however much you want)
- 2-3 olives, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Toast your slice of bread.
- Smear it generously with avocado.
- Add the sliced olives and sun dried tomatoes in an even layer on top of the avocado.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Add a few dashes of smoked paprika.
- Drizzle the maple syrup on top and then enjoy!